I wrote this post as I was flying home from New Orleans last Sunday but never got around to posting it. Here’s some notes from the trip.Read more »
With the end of the holidays and start of the new year, I didn’t have a whole lot of time to keep up with stuff this week as I usually do. But here’s a few things worth sharing.Read more »
Social media is broken in so many ways, but lately I’ve been fixated on a few aspects that particularly irk me, and I’m resolving to try to do better in the new year. These are far from the most severe or vexing issues out there, but I thought I’d share.Read more »
I love year-end lists. I’ve always loved reading others’—no matter how silly or superficial—as a way to process the year I’ve had and to think about why I liked or didn’t like the things I came across. I’ve always wanted to write my own, but have never gotten around to it.
2018 was kind of a meh year in media for me. I didn’t come across much that really wowed me or left a lasting impression. But nonetheless, here’s a collection of list of my favorite things from the year.Read more »
I haven’t been alone in wanting to see a resurgence of personal websites and blogs these days. Personal sites and blogs are really attractive for a few reasons:
- They offer an alternative to the centralization of the internet by the big social media companies, allowing you to share what you want and keep private what you want to keep private.
- They allow the content creators themselves to own their content.
- They offer a break from the endless like-chasing and addictive game dynamics of social media.
- They encourage longer-form thought and different forms of expression.
- They offer a refreshing sense of variety in contrast to the homogeneity of social media.
- And no doubt part of their appeal is that they harken back to the earlier days of the internet before coordinated harassment campaigns, malicious bots, invasive ad tech, and every other gross aspect of the internet in 2018.
But as I’ve set out to revitalize my own personal site with the goal of moving more of my writing from Twitter to there, and as I’ve tried to think about how to encourage others to do the same, I’ve hit upon some challenges that I think we need to figure out.Read more »
Between travel and getting ready for the holidays, media time is at a low for me these days. But I found some good things and wanna tell you about them.Read more »
The days are short — how is it getting dark at 3:30?? — and the holidays are starting to kick in. Here’s some of my favorite things from the week.Read more »
It’s been nearly two years since I’ve written anything on here, so to get back in the practice, I’m starting a new thing this week where I share a run down of my favorite things that I’ve consumed in the last week: things I’ve read, listened to, watched, etc.Read more »